Ninh Binh is a province in Vietnam, located about 90km away from Hanoi. The ancient capital is famous for various tourist destinations recognized by UNESCO as World Heritage Site such as Tam Coc – Bich Dong, Trang An, Bai Dinh Temple, etc. Besides, Mother Nature also gives Ninh Binh many unspoiled caves with mysterious beauty. One of the most out-standing caves in Ninh Binh is Mua cave.
If you haven’t heard of this cave before, keep scrolling to find out why a Ninh Binh day tour from Hanoi to explore this maginicent cave should be on your bucket list.
Mua Cave – The unsung gem of Ninh Binh
Mua Cave is located at the foot of Mua mountain which is upside-down bell shaped. From the bottom of the mountain, you can see various white-stone steps leading to the top. This architecture is similar to the Great Wall of China, perfectly taking advantage of the natural topography.
View from the top (Source: Google)
Climb the 486 steps leading to the top of Mua Mountain and you will be rewarded with a panoramic view of Trang An Complex leaning against vast mountain ranges that teem with utmost vitality. It will be unforgettable experience for your Ninh Binh day tour. Moreover, while climbing up, you also can admire the beautifully sculpted stone statues in various shapes such as dragon, phoenix, etc., representing the orthodox architectural style of the Tran dynasty.
Dragon statue (Source: Google)
Coming back to our main character – Mua cave. Mua cave consists of various steep cliffs with countless shapes which glitter in vibrant color in the daytime. There is a folk story related to this place. It is said that Mua cave has been a place where Tran Kings used to come to enjoy singing and dancing performances. The legend is brought to life with glamorous images of beautiful women singing and dancing carved on many stone blocks in the cave.
How to get to Mua cave?
Mua cave is located in Ninh Binh Province, so if you want to visit this cave, you should reach to Ninh Binh first. As being said above, Ninh Binh is not far from Hanoi. Therefore, you can go there and visit this cave in the same day. Moreover, thanks to the short distance, you have lots of ways to go to plan your Ninh Binh day trip from Hanoi.
Way to the top (Source: Google)
- Motorbike: For packbackers, or for tourists who enjoy driving in Vietnam, motorcycle is the great choice for traveling to Ninh Binh. You can drive along National Highway 1A toward Ninh Binh, then turn left into Trang An. And, you keep following the provincial road 491C to Mua cave. We recommend you to have the Google map turned on throughout the trip so that you won’t get lost. With this kind of transportation, you can depart whenever you want and have a flexible schedule for a day tour around Ninh Binh. Moreover, this way also gives you opportunities to admire the charming beauty of nature along the way.However, if you are not familiar with driving in Vietnam, it’s quite dangerous for you because there are lots of trucks and containers driving on the National Highway 1A.
- Bus: A common way for backpackers to get to Ninh Binh is by bus. If you’re planning on a Hanoi day trip to Ninh Binh, you can catch a bus at Giap Bat bus station. The bus ticket will range from VND 60,000 to 80,000. And, it will take you about 50 minutes to get to Ninh Binh. Once you are in Ninh Binh, you can get a taxi to Mua cave with the price ranging from VND 50,000 – 60,000. The bus is safe and makes sure that you can’t get lost. But, if you want to visit other sites in Ninh Binh, you have to go by taxi.
- Private car: If you travel with a quite budget, you can get a private car to Ninh Binh. To find a driver, you can leave a post on some Vietnamese travel group or expat community in Vietnam such as Hanoi Massive. Don’t forget to negotiate the price and the time for pick-up (if you stay at Ninh Binh overnight). Otherwise, you also can contact some travel agencies. They will give you various options from private car to D-car (share with other tourists). And, of course, this kind of transportation costs more than the two above.
Tips for traveling to Mua cave
To explore north Vietnam culture with Mua cave trip, there are several things you should pay attention to:
- Entrance fee for Mua cave: VND 100,000/ person. For other places of a Ninh Binh day trip, you can check the table below
|Destinations||Entrance fee (VND)|
|Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex||200,000|
|Tam Coc – Bich Dong||270,000|
|Thien Ha cave||120,000|
|Bai Dinh temple||30.000 (electricity car)|
- Best time to visit: early morning or late afternoon. Climbing Mua Cave in early in the morning will help you avoid the heat and crowd, especially if you visit it in the summer. And, if you can make it at late afternoon, you can admire the glorious sunset on top of the mountain.
- You should wear comfortable clothes and training shoes or sandals. Besides, you also should bring sunglasses, hats, and sun scream.
- Don’t forget to bring water. You will want to keep yourself hydrated.
- Use the bathroom before climbing because there are no places for you on the mountain.
Read on for a comprehensive packing list when traveling to Vietnam
Check out more majestic landscapes in the North:
- Conquering Ban Gioc – The Largest Natural Waterfall in Southeast Asia
- The ultimate guide for your trip to the Northwest of Vietnam
- This is Why You Should Visit Ba Bể National Park at Least Once